Recipe: Fall 'Detox' Soup
Updated: Sep 16, 2020
This soup is my go to when the weather starts cooling down and I start wanting warmer foods. It’s packed full of healthy veggies and is a great way to use up what’s in my garden. If buying ingredients from the grocery store, try and get organic as much as possible.
Although it's called a 'detox' soup, you can definitely just eat it as a regular soup. I usually make a big pot and eat it for lunch daily for a full week, while also cutting out coffee, alcohol, sweets, gluten and dairy. This is a great little reset to do here and there throughout the year to help your gut heal and nourish your body with some real goodness, if you can extend it for a couple weeks that’s even better!
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 bunch of celery (about 6 stalks), sliced
- half a white onion, diced
- 1 can roasted or diced tomatoes, or use fresh tomatoes, diced with the skin removed
- fresh oregano to taste
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1tbsp cumin
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 2 cartons of chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 hot pepper (seeds removed)
- 1/2 a head of cabbage, chopped
Optional: Organika Collagen Powder - I like using their full spectrum collagen powder in the bone broth flavour for added nutrients and flavour. Recommended use is about 1/2tbsp per serving, I used 3tbsp for this recipe.
- heat a large pot over medium heat
- add olive oil, onions and garlic, cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes
- add whole raw chicken breast, cumin and turmeric, cook chicken a couple minutes on each side
- add in remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper
- bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes
- remove chicken and shred with a fork then add back into the soup
- cook for another 5-10 minutes